IDS mailing list archives

Re: MSSP / IDS Selection

From: "Mike Coliton" <MCOLITON () twmi rr com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:23:50 -0500

KJP

after being involved in MSSP  from back in 99, I did then and still have
today these thoughts.     Each organization should ask themselves these
questions before choosing a MSSP company:

1.   What is my enterprise and network topography?
2.   What Security products available today best suit my environment
(application level, OS level, and Network performance level)?
3.   What providers can manage those specific products well?
4.   Can these providers manage my legacy products effectively as well?
5.   Which providers will allow me to control the SLA?
6.   Which providers can effectively do this within my budget?
7.   What is my business reason for outsourcing mgmt?

Ask yourself these questions, then do the homework on the technology
(Neohapsis and NSS have neat whitepapers).
Get references from each MSSP, though mainly references with similar
environments as yours.

Best of luck

Mike