IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort & iptables on the same box

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:58:44 +0800

On 6/11/05, Jean-Pierre Denis <jp () webglobe ca> wrote:
Hi,

 When running snort and iptables on the same box, which of the 2 act first ?

 Those it go thru snort and then the iptable rule allow or deny the
connection
 or it's the other way around

Neither. Snort gets a copy of the packets from the kernel via libpcap
and it doesn't matter what iptables rules you may have enabled. The
only thing iptables have to do with snort is if you use the inline
mode (make snort an IPS) and rules that effects Snort's reporting
modules (database access etc).

Best regards
 Michael Boman