IDS mailing list archives

RE: New to Snort !!!

From: "Eric Hines" <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:57:42 -0500

Venkatesh,

You'll find that Snort boasts the same capabilities if not more than the
more expensive commercial IDS solutions out there. With an equally
attractive price point (free), it offers some awesome features over its
commercial counterparts.

Just a few features we use when presenting our Snort management solution to
customers:

1) Stateful pattern inspection engine;
2) Underwent an external third party professional security audit;
3) Real-time TCP session sniping for passive intrusion prevention using
Flexresp preprocessor;
4) HTTP, Telnet, and other upper-layer protocol decoding engine;
5) Portscan detection engine;
6) Thresholding and suppression on individual signatures per IP;
7) Recently Snort-Inline merged in to Snort, giving it inline (IPS)
capabilities
8) Text-based rule syntax allowing user to view and easily create his/her
own signatures

Much, much more.. I know I'm missing some things. Perhaps others can add to
this.

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1134 N. Main St.
Algonquin, IL 60102
Tel: (877) 262-7593 e:327
Fax: (877) 262-7593
Mob: (847) 456-6785
Web: http://www.appliedwatch.com
-
Enterprise Snort Management at http://www.appliedwatch.com.
Security Information Management for the Open Source Enterprise.
-