IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort on Gigabit [was Re: IDS\IPS that can handle one Gig]

From: Ramon Kagan <rkagan () yorku ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:11:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

My first suggestion is don't use the pre-packaged snort.  In general
compromises for the general case are used during compilation, download the
source and build it yourself.  Secondly, blindly using all of snorts
pre-processors, filters and the like is off-the-bat doomed to fail.  You
need to analyze your traffic, figure out what you don't even allow on your
network and remove the components you don't need.  Thirdly, use the
unified log output format, it's designed for high performance.  As part of
this you should also probably install barnyard to generate a single
unified log but this will be done by another process that doesn't need to
be in real-time (although it will be close).  The idea is to off-load as
much as possible from the snort process to ensure you don't drop packets.

These are some off-the-top-of-my-head suggestions and should be a good
place to start.  You really need to read through all of snort's
documentation though.

Ramon Kagan, GCIA
York University, Computing and Network Services
Information Security  -  Senior Information Security Analyst
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan () yorku ca

I have not failed.  I have just        I don't know the secret to success,
found 10,000 ways that don't work.     but the secret to failure is
                                       trying to please everybody.
        - Thomas Edison                         - Bill Cosby