IDS mailing list archives

Re: Applying data mining to Intrusion Detection System

From: Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:27:48 +0200

trantichphuoc () yahoo com wrote:
Hi all, I am a newbie in Network Security.

Then perhaps you have tackled a problem which is way too difficult as an introductory exercise, but aside from this:

I would like to try the dataset
and use some data mining tools to mine this.

You may wish to look for the HUGE VOLUME of scientific papers on this subject before asking questions ;)
http://portal.acm.org
http://www.ieeexplore.ieee.org
http://scholar.google.com

Are excellent starting points.

kddcup.data.gz The full data set (18M; 743M Uncompressed) -> I need
the output (classified as normal or an intrusion) so that a
supervised learnign can be done. This file is too big so I cant even
open it to see if it contains the output.

What are you opening it with ? Hopefully, not notepad under windows...

-> is that true the test data is not extracted from the training data

It's obvious, otherwise you wouldn't call it test data...

I see so many test sets and have no clue which one to use.

Perhaps you really should begin by reading some of the scientific articles that were written on this topic.

Also, a good book on data clustering such as the one by Han would be helpful to you.

2. What tool would you recommend me to use to mine these data?

One written by yourself, weka, matlab, mathematica, statistica...

3. How can I run the scoring script in
http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/elkan/awkscript.html

With awk ?

The script compares a result file produced by your tool with the real one, and gives you a score based on how different your file is.

Do I have to send my model
to the commeetee in order to have it evaluated,

Please don't. The evaluation took place 6 years ago, those people have moved on since :)

Best,
Stefano Zanero

Dottorando di Ricerca / Ph.D. Student
Politecnico di Milano - Dip. Elettronica e Informazione
Web:    www.elet.polimi.it/upload/zanero

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.