IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS and Bandwidth

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:02:43 -0400

Do you mean the type of unknown traffic that cannot be identified is consuming your bandwith. Most in-line IDS products do not consume bandwidth, in other words, whne you place an inline IDS within a particular network, you may introduce some latency when an IP packet is being analyzed and then if the packet is forwarded or dropped. If there is a complaint from your network team, you may want to invest some time in troubleshooting the type of traffic that is being observed on the various nodes of your network before pointing fingers at each other. NFR used to have a nice flowchart diagram that illustrated Network Intrusion Detection process..

/m