IDS mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures) - AI

From: "Swift, David" <dswift () ipolicynetworks com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:11:09 -0700

I believe added correlation and the programming of artificial
intelligence into security devices to be a key area of expansion for any
good security device over the next few years.

Companies like Counterpane are beginning to correlate offline data to
look for real attacks.

It is immensely more valuable to me for a device to let me know that
someone used a SYN-SCAN to find the open ports on my firewall followed
by a Fragmented packet with a TTL 1 higher than my firewall to map true
destinations by ICMP replies, who then sent a fragmented packet through
to an IP address on a port he previously found he could establish a
session on.

Any single packet or detected IDS event means little by itself, but the
combination and sequence of events from the same source should allow me
to increase the threat level of a given source, and correspondingly
adjust my responses up to the point where I dynamically harden my
firewall from his source address regardless of what data he's
transmitting, AND hopefully beginning the automation of forensic
analysis by doing things like a reverse DNS lookup, whois, and
dynamically sending identification packets to his IP to identify any
other characteristics (i.e. will he respond to a Netbios Name Lookup?
Can I discover his MAC address? RARP tables/responses).

I would enjoy the topic, but believe this should be a new discussion
thread however.