IDS mailing list archives

Re: ForeScout ActiveScout

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:12:30 +0200

But one weak point I see in their approach (or their product offering)
is that they narrowed their intrusion detection scope to only on those
traffics going to the fake place.

Not so. They do give higher score to traffic going to non-existent IP's - i.e. virtual hosts the machine "acts like they are alive", but the whole methodology we discussed actually works on real IP's.

Seeing someone attack a non-existent IP is always nice, though. ;)

Recently, I have been exposed to a start-up security company,
CyberShield Networks. They developed a similar approach to enable
users being proactive, but the complete package they offer goes way
beyond just reporting attacks from the fake place, they cover
intrusion detection over the entire IP space assigned under their

I don't see how this differs from ActiveScout. Can you provide more details? It sounds very interesting. What do they do?

protection. Also they implemented a RADAR screen and transformed
attacks into blips on the RADAR, that makes our security guys life a
lot easier as far as sorting out the priorities among the attacks
reported. Pretty cool stuff.

Cool GUI, being cool, is important for ease of use. It is not, however, what I am looking for in a product.

        Gadi.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.