IDS mailing list archives

Snort detecting distributed syn floods

From: "Brian T" <briant4592 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:38:45 -0500

Hello List,

Over the past several months I have been experiencing intermittent DDoS attempts. The traffic is a distributed syn flood that usually goes after known backdoored ports and targets 40k+ IPs. We are using snort and have a tap in front of the firewall. I would like to set up a detection mechanism for this type of attack but since the target ports keep changing I'm not sure Snort has the capability of performing this type of detection (sounds like I may need something be anomaly based). I want to detect a distributed syn flood/scan without having the related IDS rule(s) tied to any specific ports. The motive is to be proactive instead of adding a rule after an attack has occurred. I'm relatively new to snort and was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used snort to detect this type of attack.

Thanks,
Brian T

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Test Your IDS