IDS mailing list archives

performance metrics for IPS systems?

From: p z <peterzulu () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 01:10:54 -0500

Hi:

I'm developing an RFP for an IPS system and am now on the section
regarding performance metrics.  We have a large distributed network
with mostly gige networks linked via vpns over oc-192 pipes.  The IPS
systems would be used to protect the VPN end-points, as well as
internal network segments (primarily the core.)

I'm planning on demanding that the IPS systems perform at >225,000
packets/second (100% of packets inspected) with <.5ms latency per
packet.  Is this reasonable for an IPS?  We have a very busy network
which can burst above 225,000pps.  Should I look for an
application-smart firewall or router instead?

here are some other questions:

- What is the standard/acceptable frames/second I should expect of an IPS?
- What is the acceptable/standard latency per packet for an IPS?
- Are there other metrics I should be concerned about (like mbps?
reaction time? etc.)?
- Does anyone use what they consider to be a high-performance IPS?
what sorts of throughput and latency do you experience?

Thanks!
Peter

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.