IDS mailing list archives

RE: what is required for an engineer to become an SECURITY engineer

From: <skander.ben.mansour () accenture com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:52:40 +0100

Hello Ravi,

Aside from the technical knowledge that is essential to a career in
infosec engineering, security engineers also should have the appropriate
mindset.

How many of you ever heard "Nobody would ever do that" when pointing out
an exploitable flaw in a system or process ?
Security people mindset differs from the network/systems administrator
point of view in that we are trying to prevent unauthorized access, when
systems administrators' first goal is to grant access and get the
service running.

While complete paranoia is not the answer, a healthy amount of creative
thinking is required when designing, evaluating and testing information
systems.

The ISECOM (Institute for Security and Open Methodologies) has an
interesting training material covering these aspects of the information
security career:
Jack of All Trades: http://www.isecom.org/projects/jack.shtml

"Jack began as a mentality-determining method for hiring penetration
testers. It's reach became central to teach people security by applying
what they already know to security. As applied security knowledge is
essentially based on critical thinking, observation, and analysis, the
Jack exercises exist to exploit the mentor-method of teaching these
skills."

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Skander Ben Mansour, CISA CISSP