IDS mailing list archives

Tuning false positives

From: Sam Heshbon <sheshbon () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:20:44 -0800 (PST)

My company is testing a few intrusion detection & prevention products. On the first few hours/days
after deployment the machines alert on ten of thousands of events, which is way too much for us to
ever go through, most of which are false alarms.

The vendor’s solution is tuning the systems, which means shutting down signatures, detection
mechanisms, omitting defragmentation tests and so on. These tunings do reduce dramatically the
number of alerts, but it seems most of the detection capabilities have been shut off too, so
things are
nice and quite but we've no idea what's really going on in our network apart from catching the
trivial threats such as old worms, which don’t get false alarms.
Has anyone encountered this situation? Anyone got a solution?

Thanks

Sam