IDS mailing list archives

Re: Analysing and configuring IPS/IDS Policies

From: Fergus Brooks <fergwa () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:31:01 +0800

Hi there,

If you have no faith in the firewall or you are concerned about more
than just inbound traffic from the Internet via the firewall I would
always take the first approach but to mitigate the risk of the IPS
causing a DoS I would follow this methodology (off the top of my head
- this is my version of best practices from a fomer employer...)

1) Remove the IPS from the network. As with firewalls you should stage
them in a lab enviroment and perfom as much testing as possible (not
just of the hardware, also of the policy) before you put it inline.

2) Spend a fair amount of time with the fwadmin looking at the
policies and logs on those devices. Understand the flow of traffic and
the existing security policy the firewalls enforce.

3) Get everybody who looks after the networks and devices into a room
with a whiteboard. Map out the network and the current and planned
flow of data. Isolate that data down to an application and port level.
Raise some what-ifs. A good one I find is "what if we shut down all
xxx traffic?" The network peeps will then remember that they are using
it or they need it if it was not shut down before. I would also make
it very clear in this session that everything not expressly permitted
will be blocked and that it is their responsibility to profile their
own apps etc.

4) Define this flow and what you propose to do with the policy very
clearly in a working document, this step is the first sanity check.
Send this to everyone involved for checking. If it is a large
organisation copy their line managers and departmental heads. Make
sure everyone has given you all the information you need.

5) With all the information you have now you should know exactly what
traffic you will see at the point the IPS is supposed to go into (but
you probably won't...) Put a network analyser where you will plug the
IPS and capture as much data as you can. Take the capture data away
and use filters to check throughly through for apps & hosts that have
not been accounted for.

6) Repeat steps 3 & 4 with this new information. You will have earned
the added advantage that lazy sysops etc will now be taking you
seriously.

7) Once you are happy that everything is accounted for perform as much
testing as possible. You could use a method like simulating the
production enviornment and using tcpdump/tcpreplay to replay exact
streams of data.

8) Prepare a change control procedure for implementing the IPS,
including detailed testing & backout plans. Make sure the support and
infrastructure management teams are sufficiently staffed to
accommodate the change. Make sure that anyone who may be required to
help in the worst-case scenario is contactable. Brief these teams on
what you are doing and let them know that you want to hear about
anything weird that occurs around the time of deloyment.

9) Install the policy-applied IPS, ask the test teams to start testing
all applications & watch the logs carefully. Fix any minor problems if
they come up. Should you start to see serious problems emerge decide
whether or not to implement the backout plan/s. I would always prefer
to backout than leave any application not functioning without a
process to get it functioning in place.

10) Write a detailed report and forward to those involved.

(And this is not best practice but you've earnt it - ask for a pay increase...)

Hope this helps - regards.