IDS mailing list archives

A possible HIPS? Was: Looking for HIDS-only products for XP/2000Pro

From: "Brian Azzopardi" <brian () unixpoet com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:20:37 +0200

I have implemented a tool which might be useful to protect against both
known and unknown malware. The tool works by restricting the user-specified
applications to, what in Unix-land would be, a jail. The applications, for
example IE or Outlook, have only read/write or read only rights to certain
directories/files. In future I plan to extend the app to protect the
registry as well. I've tested it on W2k/XPpro/W2k3.

I would love to know what the list think of the idea.

Thanks,
Brian

PS
If enough people ask I will release it.