IDS mailing list archives

RE: GFI SELM Question

From: "Chris Petersen" <chris.petersen () logrhythm com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:47:09 -0600

******** I represent the vendor **************

When looking at log management solutions that write to a RDBMS, ask the
vendor how they are dealing with large database table record counts.  You
can't keep writing millions of records (logs) into a database without
eventually reaching a performance bottleneck.  If there answer is buy bigger
hardware, get worried.

I can't speak to SELM capabilities but if you are looking for something on a
larger scale, we have one customer monitoring 300+ Windows servers (all 3
event logs) on a single Log Manager (HP DL380 ~5K server) using both our
agent and agent-less capabilities without a hitch.  They are centralizing
approx 5 Million logs/day.

Chris Petersen, CTO
(303) 413-8740 (direct)
(720) 938-2589 (mobile)