IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS, alternative solutions

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:11:38 -0400

I think we can all agree that IPS is no replacement for Patch Management. My point is that there is no demonstrable ROI that I have seen for IPS yet there appears to be a perception that it is a more cost effective way of dealing with the problem. This is likely a result of the parroting by some IPS vendors of a virtual patching concept. I am open to the case if it can be shown, this is why I asked anyone to provide an actual ROI.

The way I see it, an IPS can attempt to contain your infestation and help reduce your legal exposure from outbound attacks that would otherwise make it to your partners... This is a value I can quantify and the best use case I have seen for IPS. The problem I have with it is that a properly implemented firewall can most likely do the same and provide much better overall value.

With IPS we also have to consider that it is often implemented to "fail open" allowing traffic to pass unmolested in the case of a failure. If we can all agree that system overload is often the case in worm outbreaks then we have a bad situation brewing. I predict that the failure will ultimately result in containment being lost when the IPS is overwhelmed. I would like to test that prediction IRL if I get a chance. Does anyone have real world data surrounding the failure cases under extreme load?

Cure, Samuel J wrote:

I agree with Paul that IPS is not a solution to replace existing patch
management solutions. In fact, I would not even rely on it to "buy time"
until a consolidated update is ready (such as quarterly). There are too many
opportunities for exposure while waiting for the consolidated update even
WITH IPS installed. There are many encoders available these days that allow
for the most commonly detected exploits to be concealed over the wire and
bypass IDS/IPS systems.
I do agree however with the resource requirements necessary for testing and
rolling out each patch or hotfix.
Scott, to answer your question on cost effective, perhaps IPS will more than
likely be less expensive than the resources required to test and update
patches. There are many factors to consider during this evaluation as well such as -standard builds and services that are not needed. -several patch management systems are available today that are starting to
take away from the argument of patch test resources being unavailable
-IPS technology is being developed that provide more holistic analysis  to
detect anomalies for zero day and newer exploits. These may have ability to
verify encoded exploit packets as well.
Just my thoughts,

Scure