IDS mailing list archives

RE: question about anomalies detection

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:24:11 -0400

Actually, this is just signature-based IDS, where you're rolling your own
sigs.  If you were to do anomaly-based IDS, you'd more likely be doing the
logical inverse of this, where you would ignore the hostile traffic you
generated and defined the rest of it as "normal," and therefore you'd define
everything else as "suspicious."  The whole appeal of anomaly-based
detection is that it can theoretically notice attacks that nobody has ever
heard of before, simply because it differs from what is "normal."  And
therefore, it doesn't matter what attacks you generate, since it learns the
definition of "normal" rather than the definition of "hostile."