IDS mailing list archives

RE: TippingPoint Releases Open Source Code for FirstIntrusionPrev ention Test Tool, Tomahawk

From: kquest () toplayer com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:40:28 -0500

I'm aware that SourceFire (or whatever it's called)
is backing up Snort; however, that's not how Snort started
(snort was already there when SourceFile was created,
 which is similar to what happened with zebra).
I'm sorry if my history of snort is not correct,
but I thought that's how it was. It's totally opposite
to what we have there, where we have.

There's also a difference between what's going on
with Snort and this tool. SourceFire makes an IDS
tool based on Snort where TippingPoint makes an IPS
device and this tool is suppose to test IPSes.

I do have have pcaps to contribute, but I'm definitely
not going to give them on a silver platter to TippingPoint.
We need a next generation IDS/IPS/whatever testing
tool that goes beyond simple pcap replay. We need something
that can take a pcap... then fully parse it (not just
data link,network, and transport layers) and then
have application intelligence to do something actually
useful with it (e.g., perform application fragmentation
for RPC, etc). The list goes on...

- Kyle, Don't forget the 'snort' folks have just as much of a
vendor presence as TippingPoint or any other IDS vendor. TippingPoint
_may_ be trying to encourage use of their tool for IDS evolution as a
whole  much like snort has yet still has hopes they will get some
benefit from their free tool.

        Now do you have any pcaps to contribute to snort or the rest of
us packetninjas?

        -Dan

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.