IDS mailing list archives

Snort signature packet generator

From: Graeme Connell <gconnell () middlebury edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:29:21 -0500

I'm attempting to train a neural network using snort, and I'm having trouble getting a good number of "bad" packets, IE: those that snort considers malicious. Since a snort signature is really just a definition of a subset of all possible packets, it seems like it should be possible to create a packet that snort considers bad by filling in packet fields based on a snort signature, then filling the rest of the packet with random garbage. Does anyone know if this type of program has already been created, and if so, where could I find it? Thanks.

                --Graeme Connell

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.