IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS deployment on a Cat6500 series & which Snort box?

From: "Carles Fragoso i Mariscal" <cfragoso () cesca es>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 01:12:50 +0200

Hi James,

Thank you for your answer.

I know how to do a span port, I maybe did not explained my question very
well.

If the traffic comes from different Gigabit ports and also comes aggregated
with other traffic is not very useful to do a span port because you need a
sensor for each span, and each one has to deal with more traffic than
the interesting one.

So if we define certain hosts or IP ranges to monitor, a granular solution
is needed. I have been told that Cisco Cat6500 could do it in two ways:

 - ACE's in ACL's which can be used to set some traffic to be captured
   by IDSM blade.

 - ACE's in VACL's which can be applied to VLANs in order to forward a
   copy of the traffic to a designed 'switchport monitor'

I just wanted to know if someone has used it in order to get some feedback
and to know which one is more convenient. I mentioned Snort because the
second way I described could allow to monitor a subset of traffic without
using a blade in-switch solution.

Thanks also to those guys who replied privately to me,

-- Carlos