IDS mailing list archives

Re: nids for ipv6

From: Ken Renard <kdrenard () wareonearth com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:12:54 -0500

Snort (http://www.snort.org) supports IPv6, although at what version number that support came in I'm not sure of

As of snort-2.1.1 (Feb 2004), the only thing snort does with IPv6 packets is count them.

I have made mods to snort-2.0.1 to support IPv6 throughout the core of snort, as well as supporting a few IPv6 features (such as search on flow field of IPv6 header, and icmpv6 header processing). It is not "complete" IPv6 support, but most of the applicable IPv4 support is available for IPv6.

I am currently integrating these mods into snort-2.1.1.

To date, I have been unable to get a response from the snort maintainers as to whether they would like these mods or not. I would be wiling to share my mods (once they're completed for 2.1.1) for testing purposes. Any help getting this tested and put into the main dist would be greatly appreciated!

-Ken Renard

Test your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out by easily testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.

Visit: www.coresecurity.com/promos/sf_eids1 to learn more.