IDS mailing list archives

Re: Windows based (H)IDS

From: Bugtraq storage account <bugtrak () iquebec com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:34:09 -0500

Not as hard to get as one would think, as I have pretty much the same offering, not only free but also Open Source, along with other HIDS techniques than simply file integrity checking. I also made softwares for monitoring and analysing logs, so that other softwares can be added to the mix, like Snort for example, so it can be manageable over a network. I know there are other freely available HIDS softwares for Windows apart from the ones I've made (in some cases with the help of other people).

I also happen to have commercial versions for most of these softwares, but Open Source software is something I truly believe in.

I agree with you that Snort can be set for an individual NIC, using the -p option, which is great because it technically enables NIDS capabilities on a fully encrypted network, something we are still far from seeing as the norm. But still something interesting to contemplate.

You should think about setting up a website for distributing your tools rather than by e-mail, it makes it easier for everybody, including you.

My files can be downloaded from http://securit.iquebec.com/

Adam Richard
SécurIT Informatique Inc.