IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS Opinions

From: Greg Martin <greg () ddos com>
Date: 8 Jun 2004 15:17:13 -0000

Hello

why is nobody talking about prelude (http://www.prelude-ids.org)? It's
supposed to perform much better than snort and fits better into large
environments, it's much more felxible becasue prelude is more a
framework than just a single IDS. Till now I did not have the chance to
have a closer look to prelude, but I would really be interested in
experiences made by some others.

thanks
nik

Nik,

Your exactly right prelude is just a framework ontop of snort-like IDS :) it doesn't deserve to be called an IDS
without mentioning Snort.  Built as open source to correlate between nessus scans, syslogs (ssh,ftp,mail,etc), from
many different systems and drones/sensors, this is the approach to a much wider scale IDS system which is the direction
we need to be going.  Unfortunatly from my tests it is very beta, it takes alot of customizing for your own network so
most admins don't have the time/resources to explore this option yet unless their networks are small.  It only seems to
work well with Linux/*BSD machines you cannot easily add your NT/2000, Mac and other servers into the mix.  And
finnally the documentation isn't wonderful.  I did find one step by step guide but it is Gentoo specific:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/prelude-ids.xml

That being said besides its current weaknesses, this is a very promising open source IDS system to keep an eye on.
They are looking for some help $$$, but seem to be steady developing regardless of resources.

-Greg