IDS mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet IDS

From: nick black <dank () qemfd net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:45:28 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-07-26, Craig Bumpstead <cbumpste () praxsus dyndns org> wrote:
In regard to a limit of 10MB for AV scanning, in my career I have never
seen a 10Mb virus, this is not to say that it isn't possible. By
imbedding a virus/Trojan in another file.

But a virus needn't be 10Mb to embed its own mailer, run an SMTP reject
code against known AV agents, and generate such a thing on the fly.

--
nick black                  "np:  the class of dashed hopes and idle dreams."
free hearts, free foreheads -- you and i are old; old age hath yet his honour

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE
IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.