IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS VS. IPS: Which is Better???

From: "atarata () internode on net" <atarata () internode on net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:28:12 +0950

Hi NAVTEJ,

IDS = Intrusion Detection System
IPS = Intrusion Prevention System

Now basically an IDS system just reports intrusion attacks
where the IPS not only reports intrusion attacks it can also
take preventive measures (blocking ports, running scripts,
etc) and counter the instrusion attacks. The choice is
really up to you and what your organisation needs / affords.
What I can recommend is this:

- IDS:
1) An affordable solution but a good one is (for a Windows
based network, their next version of the product will
include *nix as well) - GFI Security Event Log Monitor
(http://www.gfi.com)
2) A more expensive but more comprehensive solution (for a
mixed environment) - NetIQ Security manager
(http://www.netiq.com)

- IPS (for a mixed Windows and *nix network) - Stonegate
(http://www.stonesoft.com/products/StoneGate/)

For more technical details for these products just look on
the sites as they are pretty good in covering the technical
bits and pieces.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alex T

Hi , I’m new in this group. I got one project to
implement
IDS on  big  originations. Now I have to gives one
presentation on IDS Vs IPS. I don’t  know what is the
exactly difference  between IDS and IPS. How IPS is good
then IDS.

It would be very nice of you if anyone  can give me some
technical hints  like
•    How to start with the preparation?
•    Which Books/Question Banks/Related Documents to
refer? •    Any web sites/hyper links which could be
helpful?

I would be really thankful if you can take some precious
time from your busy  schedule and help me out as I need it
very badly. Hoping for a reply soon  from your side.

Regards,

NAVTEJ KOHLI

_______ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online