IDS mailing list archives

robots.txt access rules

From: Federico Petronio <petrus () activesec biz>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:14:58 -0300

Hi all...

I have installed snort-inline and I am customizing rulesets.

My cuestion is about the rule sid:1852 which match accesses to /robots.txt files. The goal of this rule is to not let access to information about sensitive areas of the webserver (which can be use to achive knowledge about restricted areas, etc), but if they are not present Google, etc. would intent to index those areas... So... what shoud I do? Is it better to have that rule active or inactive? The restriccted areas should be RESTRICTED and not just "hidden" so... the rule make no sence?

I would like to hear you opions about this... Thanks a lot.
--
                                        Federico Petronio
                                        petrus () activesec biz