IDS mailing list archives

Re: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:26:01 -0500

On Monday 05 January 2004 03:12 pm, Brad McGary wrote:
I agree with your comments but would offer the thought process
regarding the structure of an attack scenario. Most attacks start
with recon and end with target specific exploits. I've been using a
commercial version of Hogwash for about two years and have
significantly reduced the number of successful attacks launched
against our environments by preventing the more prolific recon tools
from returning target intelligence. As for the worm attacks we've
been relatively successful at stopping these since they mostly
utilize exploits which have mature snort signatures. In the end
there's no panacea and we see our share of false positives and false
negatives I'm sure. Please take these comments as just my specific
experience and understand I certainly don't want to engage in any
heated debates.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for sharing your experience.  And, while heated debates tend to
drift away from the topic, I'd be interested in hearing what others
have done to try to head off attacks.  This gets exactly to the point
that, to my way of thinking, to prevent intrusions one needs to employ
a *process* which has many dimensions.  You have very clearly described
one aspect of that process . . .

Regards,

George Capehart