IDS mailing list archives

RE: How do behavioral/anomaly detection systems learn?

From: "Tarek Amr Abdullah" <tabdullah () salec com eg>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:10:23 +0200

Hi Sasha,

The signature based IDSs/IDPs are used to match a specific string or so
in the packets. It is somehow like, you know the rules you put in your
Outlook in order to file different mails accourding to the senders's
email, a word in the mail header, or a word in the mail body.

While protocol anomaly IDSs/IDPs uses another technique to detect the
attacks. They as some how statistical based. The captures packets from
the network and store them in a database. And then transform these info
(number of pakets per protocol, number of packets per specific source
address, etc) from the time domain to the frequency domain. I think this
is done via some fourier transform techniques or so. These info is then
sent to a Fuzzy logic module (It works like Neural Networks or so). It
is put in the network to learn its normal behavior, and then when there
is an attack the neural network module will dettect a variation (May be
the mean, and standard deviation, etc.)

Hope this will be helpful to you.
Any ways, if anyone has some white papers to descuss this into more the
technical details it will be very greatful to send them.

Best Regards,