IDS mailing list archives

Re: Newbie question: autoblocking with IDS/IPS

From: Mike Johnson <mike () enoch org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:59:54 -0500

Daniel wrote:

I'm thinking of buying one of that new CISCO IDS boxes which can be
placed inline in the future.

Do you mean the 4240? If so, we just received a couple of them and intend to put them through their paces in our lab.

Is anybody of you using the automatic shunning (I guess it's called
so) feature of the CISCO IDS? Does this make sense? (Which signatures
should be autoblocked?)

We were told that the version of the software that handles blocking is not yet shipping. If anyone knows any different, do tell. We haven't quite figured out our policy on what gets blocked and what doesn't, but we'll take it on a signature by signature basis.

Or are you just monitoring and then blocking manually?

We're not 100% convinced we'll put them in blocking mode at this point. Ideally, it would be automagic, but false positives lead to blocking legitimate traffic by accident.

Mike

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.