IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS, IPS and encrypted traffic

From: neil () slampt net
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 04:50:53 +0800

Hey Daniel,

Have you looked at the Mcafee Intrushield product?
The latest version of the sensor software has the ability to load SSL keys and
then decrypt/inspect the traffic in realtime.

Regards

Neil Archibald

Quoting Daniel Hamburg <daniel.hamburg () iis rub de>:

Hello everybody,

I’ve been looking around the net for a while, trying to find some
theoretical
and practical approaches to solve the
problem of analyzing encrypted traffic.

I know, that there is a need to decrypt the traffic before analyzing it, but
I haven’t found any concrete solutions
neither for NIDS nor for HIDS yet. Some HIDS vendors announced that their
products are capable of analyzing encrypted
traffic, but I didn’t succeed to find any details about that.

Does anybody know some products or papers which deal with the problem of
analyzing encrypted traffic?

Thanks in advance,
  Daniel Hamburg

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.