IDS mailing list archives

Re: Bridge IDS

From: Stephen Samuel <samuel () bcgreen com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:35:37 -0700

I have an OpenBSD box set up with 3 interfaces. One faces the internet.
The second is bridged to tehe outside interface with  PF filtering.
The third is behind  a NAT.

It'd be pretty easy to add SNORT filtering to the setup, but I'd
be inclined to upgrade the box (it's a P100)  Works fine for a 1.5 Megabit
ADSL link and even handled 10Megabits between my net and my roommates net
(we had separate nets linked by a 10Megabit hub to a cable connection
(capable of 3megabit late at night).

I did some simple burst stress testing over the 10megabit link, and the
box  seemed to work just fine.

Lee Sheng wrote:
All,

Perhaps this is silly question, however I wanna know that if bridge firewall can be done, how about building a bridge IDS. I know there is snort-inline(consoder IPS) that we can use but what I mean is just snort without patching. Using three network interface, two for building a bridge and one for console. Can it be done? Tap is far too expensive for individual like me :)

Any suggestion would be appreaciated! Thanks.

Regards,
Lee

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel () bcgreen com
                   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE
IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.