IDS mailing list archives

Re: NIPS Vendors explicit answer

From: Vikram Phatak <vphatak () lucidsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:06:41 -0400

I agree with you Frank. I don't think IPS shielding vulnerabilities is a good long term solution. I like to think of it as a temporary stop-gap that buys people some time. There have been some cases where customers can't patch the system in question because it would break their home-made applications and therefore used it indefinately, but I personally would like to see that as a last resort. If for no other reason than that if people don't patch, the rules in the system will grow and grow and grow, performance will suffer, and eventually the benefit from prequalifying hosts by scanning for vulnerabilities will be eliminated.

As far as looking the wrong way....  I would argue that some IPS
vendors that have not reviewed the mission of IPS versus the mission
of IDS are looking the wrong way :-)

Is that why Gartner got confused?  ;)
Gartner does things for their own mysterious reasons. Only they know why they do what they do. ;)

I think an IPS group makes a lot of sense (for whatever it's worth).

Best,

   -Vik

--
Vikram Phatak