IDS mailing list archives

Re: Announcement: Alert Verification for Snort

From: "Sam f. Stover" <sstover () atrc sytexinc com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:31:10 -0400

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 07:03  PM, Christopher Kruegel wrote:

From a theoretical point of view, I think that Marty is right and his classification is correct.

I probably agree with you both "theoretically". However, I was talking about what actually happens to real users. I used to work for an IDS vendor, and I know how much of a glass bubble it can be. Out in the "real world" however, theory is vastly different than practice.

In fact, we had a discussion about whether 'alert verification' was the correct term to use. We then concluded that most people don't care why they spent time looking at an alert that doesn't matter to them and that they refer to such alerts in general as false positives.

This is *not* my experience. I personally get extremely annoyed if it's my fault (or the fault of the tool I chose to employ) that leads me on a wild goose chase. I want my IDS to learn with me, not constantly provide me with the same level of annoyance. It needs to evolve.

 That's why we used the terminology that we did.

That's cool. I know my opinion doesn't really matter in the end. I just thought I'd contribute my experiences. ;-)

____
S.f.Stover
sstover () iwc sytexinc com