IDS mailing list archives

RE: Network hardware IPS

From: "Augusto Quadros Paes de Barros" <augusto () paesdebarros com br>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:22:49 -0300

About the cmd.exe rule,

Yes, evasion techniques can be used against it. Just like metal detectors can be used against mined fields, but no one
believes that mined fields are not effective because of it. If a rule trying to catch cmd.exe is the only rule that you
have on your IDS, it is bad. But if you use it as part of a strategy, it will only improve your system. OK, the rule
can catch 9 in 10 cases? Will anybody discard this rule because it can't catch all cases?

A multi-layer approach should be used on IDS rules too.

Regards,

Augusto Quadros Paes de Barros, CISSP
http://www.paesdebarros.com.br