IDS mailing list archives

RE: Test tools for IDS

From: "Bohling James CONT JBC" <james.bohling () JBC JFCOM MIL>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:50:46 -0400

"Sneeze" is great for Snort IDS.  However I have only used it locally
for a static snort box.  I am in the process of trying to use sneeze
with the snort IDS rule sets to send false positives to different IDS's.
I don't think this will work but I am going to attempt it.  I don't know
how well the perl script fabricates the packets.  If it does accurately
then it may well work.  If not I will eventually examine the code and
see what can be tweaked w/o crashing the script.

"Snot" is supposed to be another good generator using the snort rule set
as input but I haven't used it.  I attempted to but the script wouldn't
run.  I installed the perl modules required but I think the
documentation is lacking one of the scripts.

I am using the sneeze on the snort Linux box I am sure it will run on
the snort windows box, but you have to install the perl interpreter on
the windows box and include the extension in your fields (forgot the
technical term) that will allow the box to accept perl.  Also the snort
rule sets may need to be ported over to .txt so that the but possibly
not.  I know this sounds like a lot but it really isn't from the Linux
side.  I had it up and running in 10 minutes (excluding the snort
install and configuration)

Thank You,
James T. Bohling, CCNA, Security+, MCP-Win2k
Network Security Engineer - JBC CoE
Joint C4ISR Battle Center (AMSEC)
116 Lake View Parkway
Suffolk, VA 23435
(W) 757-638.4032
Web: www.jbc.jfcom.mil
This email was produced and manufactured in America, and is a
one-of-a-kind original.