IDS mailing list archives

IDS & encryption

From: Aaron Cheek <aaron_cheek () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 03:48:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I was just wondering what (if any) have been the
latest advances and general vendor approaches of IDS
in terms of analyzing encrypted traffic.

AFAIK, so far some common approaches have been:

* Using HIDS to complement NIDS in encrypted traffic
situations.
* Placing the encryption keys in the IDS (any known
products that do that??).
* Using a "clear-text DMZ" between 2 VPN firewalls for
VPN traffic.

Any other approaches that I must know of? Can any of
you point to interesting references in this direction?

Thanks!!

Aaron