IDS mailing list archives

Re: Passive OS Fingerprinting was Cisco CTR etc

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:49:28 -0500

In your list are you including commercial products that passively fingerprint Operating Systems? If so, NFR's been passively fingerprinting Operating Systems since the release of 3.2 early this year (we're now on 4.0). In 3.2, it was primarily used for fragmentation re-assembly purposes, but in 4.0 it's also used for user information purposes as well, and is included in all tcp based alerts. Of course, NFR is not specifically a passive fingerprinting tool, but it's an example of how passive fingerprinting is used in real world scenarios.

-dave

Andy Cuff [Talisker] wrote:

Hey Mark,
LTNS ! I was under the impression that anti-sniff was (thinking of a polite
word) prone to false positives. Furthermore, I'd be tempted to deploy a
passive OS fingerprinting tool on a Data In Nothing Out (DINO) tap, this
would make the detection of the pf  tool even more difficult through such
measures.

I think most IDS vendors are developing such technology (with one almost
definite exception) But as usual Ron and Marty are ahead of the drag curve.
I think it's really s3xy but as my wife will testify I'm sad and I need a
life ;o)
So s3xy that I have included a page detailing them all at
http://www.securitywizardry.com/osfp.htm

P0f
Ettercap
ARCHAEOPTERYX
RNA
NEVO
Prelude
pfprintd
Disco
There was one that was a predecessor I think to P0f but it is no longer
supported so I left it out

cheers Mark
Are you anywhere near DC 11/12 Dec for a beer?
-andy cuff
Talisker Security Tools Directory
http://www.securitywizardry.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Teicher, Mark (Mark)" <teicher () avaya com>