IDS mailing list archives

Re: sidestep

From: Judy Novak <judy.novak () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 09:38:29 -0400

Jill,

    I don't know what version of Snort you are running or what Snort rule set
you are using.   If you use version 2.0 with the default rule set
(specifically includes file dns.rules with SID 1616), it should trigger.

    I ran sidestep DNS evade traffic using a Snort a default configuration
file which includes the following rule in the dns.rules file:

alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 53 (msg:"DNS named version attempt";
content:"|07|version"; nocase; offset:12; content:"|04|bind"; nocase;
offset:12; reference:nessus,10028; reference:arachnids,278;
classtype:attempted-recon; sid:1616; rev:4;)

And received this alert:

05/05-04:08:21.989255  [**] [1:1616:4] DNS named version attempt [**]
[Classification: Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2] {UDP}
10.2.3.28:1045 -> 10.2.3.20:53

Judy Novak