IDS mailing list archives

RE: about mirroring port

From: "David Vertie" <verticalrave () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 05:47:20 +0000

There are certain methods avaliable to handle the problem.

First however, I would recommend that you not try any 'mirroring' or 'port spanning' as they call it. This creates numerous problems within a network, and results in a bottleneck at the IDS. It also slows down the majority speed for users since traffic must be routed to its destination and to the IDS.

On some Cisco routers, I believe that you can use a 'tap port', which allows you to connect a high-bandwidth (I believe it is optical) cable to the system that will allow you to route all the traffic from the switch down onto multiple IDSes (or one IDS if you have hardly any traffic). Usually with the muliple IDS distributed network theory, a hardware box breaks up traffic and sends it down to multiple boxes running IDS software (i.e. Snort), it is then filtered for any attempted intrusion attempts and logged in one or more databases.

Something special about the tap port also that I want to note, is that the tap port is a one-way connection, so it is just as secure as the special cable that people make to establish one-way connections to IDSes.

I'm not so certain about the commands on the cisco routers (i'm not too familiar with them right now), but I believe that you can find good references on Cisco itself. Or rather, books provide lots of information.