IDS mailing list archives

RE: Random IDS Thoughts [WAS: Re: IDS thoughts]

From: "Mike Lyman" <mlyman () west-point org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:11:25 -0700

I am still in the development/proof of concept stage and
experimenting
with different ideas at the moment.  I would like to consolidate
logs
from syslog (using msyslog), Windows (syslogNT), and application
logs.
I am just starting the hunt for application log -> SQL database
import
utilities for both Apache, IIS and some others.  Could you
recommend any
programs that are capable of doing this?

We have OS religion and are strictly a Microsoft shop. That simplifies
things since a we are not trying to support multiple platforms and log
formats. In some case we have relied on tools like Microsoft
Operations Manager and will be using Microsoft Audit Collection System
(currently in beta). In a few places, other groups created tools to
consolidate data for their purposes and we took a feed of the data as
well or used their database. Almost all of it consists of home grown
tools to tackle a specific problem. Most have been developed by our
internal LOB applications developers but the .Net framework has made a
lot of this a breeze to do when it comes to collecting and moving the
data around and I've been doing a lot of that work myself. (Far easier
than building a business case, getting it approved and budgeted,
spending weeks working out the specs and then a few months waiting for
the tool.)

Requires more work than using somebody else's tools but they then work
the way we want them to.

As far as data mining, what I know I have simply picked up from SQL
Server classes, references and picking the brains of DBAs and other
SQL gurus I work around. I am trying to either get into a real data
mining course or at least finish Claude Seidman's Data Mining with
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 but have not had the time to do either yet.

Mike Lyman
mlyman () west-point org

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities
- including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis
- enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2