IDS mailing list archives

Focus-IDS Mailing List Administration & Article Announcement

From: "Jason V. Miller" <jmiller () securityfocus com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:57:30 -0700

Before I get into some mailing-list specific discussion, I'd like to introduce
myself as the new moderator for the Focus-IDS mailing list. For those of you who
are not familiar with me, I have been working as an analyst and reverse engineer
on the DeepSight Threat Analyst Team for just over a year.

Secondly, I'd like to announce the latest SecurityFocus Focus-IDS article, which
is titled "The Great IDS Debate : Signature Analysis Versus Protocol Analysis".
Not only is this article relevant to the Focus-IDS list as a whole, but it
applies directly to the discussion on our most active thread, "Protocol Anomaly
Detection IDS".

The article, which is available at the following URL, talks briefly about the
difference between protocol anomaly-based and signature-based IDS detection
techniques, as well as their future together as complimentary technologies:

The Great IDS Debate : Signature Analysis Versus Protocol Analysis
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1663

As a final point, I should note that historically, there was a time when list
moderators made a point of announcing new focus area articles to their
respective lists; this behavior is something that Focus-IDS (and all of our
mailing lists) is going to see more of in the future.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

--
Jason V. Miller, Threat Analyst
E-Mail: jmiller () securityfocus com

Does your IDS have Intelligent Attack Profiling?
If not, see what you're missing.
Download a free 15-day trial of StillSecure Border Guard.
http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure