IDS mailing list archives

RE: WLAN IDS

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:10:39 -0500

I wouldn't say that decryption of WEP at "wire speed" is a dream (unless you
really mean wire speed, in which case it IS a dream as there are obviously
no wires).  Remember, with WEP involved on 802.11b bandwidth drops to 2
Mbps, which is very simple to handle, even with the overhead of decryption.
The real issue is that above layer 2, a regular IDS can do the job anyways.
The only point to an IDS that focuses on WLANs is one that will spot
attacks/probes/oddness that are unique to WLANs, which all happen at layer
2.  That said, I think there is a place for a WLAN IDS that also checks for
sniffing activity, which is a greater problem with WLANs than with standard
wired networking.

And frankly, I don't think it would be a good idea to suggest to a client
that they "wait for 802.11i, for more robust security."  That's not going to
help them now, even if it turns out not to have any problems of its own, and
we are all employed to provide solutions now :)