IDS mailing list archives

RE: Did IDSes detect the SQL worm?

From: Terence Runge <Terence.Runge () veritas com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:25:04 -0800

Our IDS sensors were extremely effective in detecting this activity,
especially during the early stages without any specific sigs for Slammer.
The real savior here was our noc staff who detected the rise in 1434
traffic, made the right contacts and did some initial research into the
activity across the network. It was extremely helpful to start at such a
granular level and not have to rely entirely on a pre-defined sig.

The end result was minimal impact. A few small scripts and pro-tem sigs were
kept running until the vendors made available their slammer signatures.

Terence Runge
VERITAS Software Corporation