IDS mailing list archives

RE: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: "Craig H. Rowland" <crowland () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:53:58 -0600

Hello,

Here is the some of the attack patterns type signatures being
classified by many vendors who are no pushin Intrusion
Prevention attack detection

FIN without ACK Attack
FTP Buffer Overflow attack
ICMP Flood Attack
ICMP Fragment Attack
ICMP Source Session Limit
ICMP Sweep Attack
Invalid URL Attack
IP Fragment
IP Land Attack
IP Loose Source Record Routing
IP Record routing
IP Security Option
IP Strict Source Record Routing
IP Timestamp Option
Large ICMP Packet Attack
Ping of Death Attack
POP2 Buffer Overflow Attack
POP3 Buffer Overflow Attack
Port Scan Attack
SYN Flood Attack
SYN Fragment Attack
TCP with No Flag Attack
UDP Flood Attack
UDP Land Attack
UDP Source Session Limit
Unknown IP protocol

None of the listed above, should be classified as Intrusion
Prevention, since they are really in essence "glorified"
Intrusion Detection class patterns. Most of the listed above

Why not? If it is a mechanism of intrusion, and can be stopped before
successful execution, then it has been prevented.

Intrusion Detection class patterns. Most of the listed above
can be easily remediated by implementing sound security
measures at the network device levels (i.e. Access Control
Lists, and other network device configuration tidbits, even
on WinDoze based machines)

Maybe they can, maybe they can't. The problem comes down to who is
running the network, how complex your infrastructure is (both
technologically and politically), and whether or not you have explicit
enough control over all the hosts on the network to actually implement
config changes to prevent problems. That's a tall order on most
networks.

To address the other vendors, you mention, they are addressed
issues at the host level that cannot be really classified as
"Intrusion Prevention".  Okena, Entercept are quantifying
certain network based applications are being rogue or known
to have issues with them, and thus implementing policy to
prevent rogue type behavior.  Again, not really Intrusion Prevention.

If these certain network based applications are doing things (like
hooking the keyboard vectors for keystroke capture, etc.) and are
stopped before they complete then the intrusion was prevented. To what
applications are you referring specifically? I can think of a number of
extremely suspicious program actions that I would never want to happen
to machines on a network I control.

I tend to agree, "true" Intrusion Prevention could be defined
as "alien" technology, since known of the vendors can agree
to what Intrusion Prevention really is.  I guess marketing
folks/marketing communication folks will have something to do
for the next few months and figure out what "snake oil" they
can assemble.

Vendors don't have to agree on anything and rarely do. The customer
decides with their pocketbook. Someone once explained network attacks as
a series of steps:

(begin) A -> B -> C -> D -> E (success)

If I stop the attack step anywhere from A to E then I've stopped the
attack. It doesn't matter where or when it happens, the attack is
thwarted and you've bought the admin time. There are several products
out now that do the above and do it successfully and they aren't snake
oil.

The consolidation of Managed Security Service Providers as
you mention is cementing the fact, that one cannot monitor an
enterprise network without a huge product/development house
type capital. The technologies behind most Managed Security
Service Providers are classifications of attacks accumulated
from snarfing information from various sources, dumping them
into a huge mono-lithic database and correlating the
information to data being analyzed by customers.  Outsourcing
security event and correlation management has always been a

This is a host and network technology problem that needs to be solved by
the vendors (security and otherwise) and will never be solved by the
MSSPs. The MSSP model is fine for some applications, but they face the
same linear scaling problem that any service-based business model has.
Basically you need good qualified people to interpret the reported data
and trying to scale this expertise when you have hundreds/thousands of
clients dumping you millions of alarms a day (hour/minute?) doesn't
inspire my confidence. Besides even if they do figure out you've been
attacked you still need people on the inside of the network to
investigate and perform cleanup operations. Personally I'd rather have
products installed that prevented the cruft to begin with so I can sleep
at night.

strange subject to broach, since most large corporations are
not in the business of spending gobs on money on security
unless the ROI is clearly visible to them and not 5 years
down the road.  Most corporations who purchase solutions
today, take several months to learn it, figure out the
ramifications to their network, and conduct a pilot before
enabling on their production network.  I have not observed
large scale deployments
(>30,000) seats of HIDS based products in the last two years.
 The mechanism of deployment needs drastic improvement.

Perhaps, but I suspect in the near future you'll see these intrusion
prevention technologies deployable in ways that are not only fast, but
maybe even part of the OS by default. Also one of the reasons older HIDS
systems were never deployed is that the cost/benefit ratio wasn't there.
Today's systems are far more effective because they can stop things like
buffer overflows, Trojan horses, etc. before they execute (whereas older
technologies just reported problems if you were lucky). With the
widescale proliferation of worms, e-mail scams, etc. the benefit is
becoming very obvious to many people that you need intrusion prevention
technology.

-- Craig