IDS mailing list archives

Re: Linux/*nix open source IDS

From: Matt.Carpenter () alticor com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:27:33 -0400

Snort is my personal favorite.  It is capable of both HIDS and NIDS, with
signature updates reasonably easily pulled and applied.  But it is very
different in nature from Tripwire.  AFAIK Tripwire is more a "System File
IDS" which creates a hash of files and compares to check for differences.
Snort watches for bad traffic, and then either alerts or takes other
actions, which allows it to act as an IDP solution of sorts.  Definitely
not as beautiful as a GUI from some vendor like NetScreen, but there are
those available as well.

Hello,

I am interested in implementing an open source IDS for a Linux/*nix
system and have been looking into various different ones and the
sort of critiques they have received. Some of the products I am
considering are Tripwire, AIDE, Samhain, Integrit, and Osiris.
Because I had not been able to find very much commentary about
such packages (except for Tripwire), I would like to ask what
sort of experiences anyone has had with them and how they compare
with one another. Alternatively, if you can point me to where I can
find such information, that would also be much appreciated.

Since the choice of an IDS depends on the system it is used to
monitor, I should say I am presently just looking for something
to protect my stand-alone Linux box, but I would like to learn
what works for larger systems running any sort of *nix.

Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
 - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
**FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
Visit us at: http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/31.htm