IDS mailing list archives

RE: Evaluation/Reviews of COTS and GOTS products (open source too)

From: "Lodin, Steven {DI~Basel Dia}" <STEVEN.LODIN () Roche COM>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:30:38 +0200

Check out this document from NIST.

NIST
IR 7007 "An Overview of Issues in Testing Intrusion Detection Systems",
June 2003

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistir/nistir-7007.pdf

They compare a bunch of different evaluations.  Here is a text cut from
the PDF listing them...

MITRE 1997
UC Davis 1997
MIT/LL 1998
MIT/LL 1999
AFRL 1998
Neohapsis 2001
NSS 2001
Network World 2001

If you are looking for a way to perform your own evaluation, I wrote
this document in 1998.

http://www.cis.udel.edu/~zhi/www.docshow.net/ids/IDS_Prod_Eval_Criteria.
zip

This page from Deborah Frinke at U of Idaho CS is pretty good.

It
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~zhi/www.docshow.net/ids.htm

Good luck!

Steve

I am looking for reviews/evaluations of commercial, government, and
open-source Intrusion Detection Systems (and Vulnerability
Scanners too, if
these reviews exist).  So far, I have the following sources:

- Evaluation by NSS (http://www.nss.co.uk)
- Neohapsis OSEC
- Network Computing's 2001 Study (which favored Dragon)
- 2002 Information Security Excellence Winners
- Various reviews by SC Magazine in the "testcenter" section

I am looking for more, if they exist.  And, I do realize that these
evaluations might not be that great (I have to take them with
a grain of
salt), but I still would like to read them.

Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
 - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
**FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
Visit us at: http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/31.htm