IDS mailing list archives

RE: Top IPS vendors - please read for invitation to Network World review.

From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:14:26 +0200

That is exactly what an IPS product should NOT consist of.

And that is where *I* believe there is room for a distinction - not just
a marketing one - between IDS and IPS.

A true IPS product (true in the sense that is complies with the
requirements to belong to this new little sub-group of security products
which may have been defined by techies or may have been defined by
marketing guys but who really cares? See where I am coming from on this?
Who cares? As long as it does the job....) will work in-line and drop
packets/connections immediately the suspicious traffic is detected (with
some additional intelligence to take care of things like SMTP servers
retrying forever, which was mentioned earlier in these threads - they
are not THAT stupid!)

TCP Resets and ICMP Unreachable packets and reconfiguring firewalls do
*NOT* contribute IPS IMHO - they are the best stab that a passive IDS
device can make at mitigating potential damage.

Regards,

Bob Walder
The NSS Group

www.nss.co.uk