IDS mailing list archives

RE: Snort test logs available?

From: "Chris Petersen" <chris () security-conscious com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:06:42 -0400

You can also find network data containing attacks at
http://www.ll.mit.edu/IST/ideval/data/data_index.html.  This was a
project done by MIT/DARPA.  There are weeks worth of data from 98/99
generated in a "real-world" setting.  These are also tcpdump files.

Whether you use these or the ones from SANS you will want to run snort
in replay mode using the -r switch.  This will run Snort against the
TCPDump file and generate Snort alerts/logs.

snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -r /data/mit_data/wk1day1_tcpdump

Good luck.

Chris Petersen
Security Conscious, Inc.
www.security-conscious.com