IDS mailing list archives

RE: Snort vs Hogwash vs bait future

From: "Alberto Gonzalez" <albertg () cerebro wwjh net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:28:18 -0700

 Hogwash actually has been out longer, folks just started hearing about
it around that time.
 Bait N Switch currently uses Snort engine (with the snort patch) and
the functionality _is_
 currently built into the new H2 engine. We aren't an IPS.. so as of
right now we don't need our
 own engine. The main page on [1] tells you what exactly the project
aims for. Here is a snippet
 directly from our site.

"Project Definition: The Bait and Switch Honeypot is a multifaceted
attempt to take honeypots
out of the shadows of the network security model and to make them an
active participant in
system defense. To do this, we are creating a system that reacts to
hostile intrusion attempts
by redirecting all hostile traffic to a honeypot that is partially
mirroring your production system.
Once switched, the would-be hacker is unknowingly attacking your
honeypot instead of the real
data and your clients and/or users still safely accessing the real
system. Life goes on, your data
is safe, and you are learning about the bad guy as an added benefit. The
system is based on snort,
linux's iproute2, netfilter, and custom code for now. We plan on adding
additional support in the
future if possible."

 We plan to add support for other OS'es as well as prelude in the NEAR
future... Whenever our damn
 jobs gives us any free time :-(

 Cheers,
 Alberto Gonzalez

[1] - http://baitnswitch.sf.net/

---
"Success comes to the person who does today, what you are thinking of
doing tomorrow."