IDS mailing list archives

RE: Honeytokens and detection

From: "Grant, Liam" <Liam.Grant () GDC4S Com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:12:37 -0500

Lance,

The Social Security Administration (not IRS) has provided some information
along those lines (googling for 'invalid "social security numbers"'):

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/36f3b2ee954f0075852568c100630558/ed1c5274f1bc
8a9f85256ce2006a1858?OpenDocument

To summarize, numbers beginning 666-xx-xxxx have not and will not be
assigned.  8xx-xx-xxxx and 9xx-xx-xxxx have not yet been assigned.  As of
late 2000, they were up to 765-xx-xxxx.

I'm sure there is more up-to-date info there, but that's the quick look.
I'm also sure that if you use 123-45-6789, you won't be using someone else's
number either.

VISA and MasterCard probably have some public numbers that are for testing
purposes only (just so a test that gets through to them doesn't charge
someone's number).

One problem I see with the whole concept is that if I was the other side,
I'd be using an encrypted tunnel to grab the info.  It's  a good concept for
catching the inexperienced outsider, or the trusted insider (less likely to
bother encrypting, trusting in his authorized access to the data), but
limited in it's application in many ways.  As with anything else though,
every extra step helps, and it's cheap.

--
Liam Grant, CISSP